Image by Kyle Lincoln
Walk Bike Nashville is working to build a more walkable, bikeable, and livable Nashville. Advocacy is one of the methods to achieve our mission. Through our advocacy programs, Walk Bike Nashville works with communities to empower their voices for active transportation, with elected officials to enact smart policy changes, and with the Metro Nashville government to guide best practices in implementation.
Walk Bike Nashville's 2019 citywide priorities are:
- Impossible Crossings: Reduce pedestrian fatalities by creating safer crosswalks across the city.
- Speed Limits: Reduce speed limits in neighborhoods city-wide.
- Budget: Advocate for funding for expanded transportation staff capacity at city, and for capital sidewalk, bikeways and traffic calming projects
- Bikeways: Continue build out of WalkNBike Priority Bikeway Network, in particular the Core Bike Lanes downtown.
- Sidewalks: Protect the sidewalk requirements passed for developers in 2017
- Scooters: Ensure smart and effective regulations are in place to govern shared scooters and bicycles
- Ensure bikeways, sidewalks and greenways are not closed during events and construction
How to Get Involved
We send out regular announcements of how you can get involved in advocating for better streets for active transportation. If you'd like to be on this list to receive these, please contact email@example.com.
Walk Bike Nashville also supports neighborhood advocacy groups to engage in their own projects for walking and biking. If you'd like to get involved in a neighborhood group or start one of your own please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We host an annual Ambassador Orientation. Our ambassadors are our core group of volunteers that spread the word about the benefits of bicycling and walking. Find our next Ambassador Orientation at our Event Calendar.
Walk Bike Nashville hosts Advocacy Summits to bring neighborhood advocates together to talk about their initiatives and to update people on what Walk Bike Nashville is doing. Find our next Advocacy Summit at our Event Calendar.
- Don't Block My Walk
- WalknBike Strategic Plan for Sidewalks and Bikeways
- Sidewalk Development Bill 493
- 51st Avenue Bike Lanes