Since 1998, Walk Bike Nashville has sought to make our city more walkable, bikeable and livable. We want our streets, sidewalks, and bikeways to support active living, additional commuting options, and recreational opportunities. We are a 501 c3, nonprofit organization that advocates for improved infrastructure and safer streets, and works to support a culture of walking and bicycling through events and educational programs.
Walk Bike Nashville is working towards a more walkable, bikeable, and livable Nashville for all, through education, engagement, and advocacy.
We envision a Nashville in which there is a culture of walking and bicycling where all people have the freedom, dignity and choice to move through a comprehensive and safe network of sidewalks, bikeways and transit routes. There are zero transportation deaths and no serious injuries. Our people and our environment are thriving.
Our Strategic Goals
- Reduce pedestrian and cyclist fatalities and serious injuries by increasing awareness and action while advocating for policies and infrastructure that reduce crashes
- Build a culture of walking and biking by providing programs, events, and advocacy that help all Nashvillians embrace active transportation
- Advance mobility justice to counter systemic inequity within our transportation system by prioritizing community-driven initiatives and programming to ensure all Nashvillians are able to get around without a car, regardless of age, ability, culture, race, or income
- Grow and diversify our member base to increase the number of people who are speaking about pedestrian and cyclist issues, while working towards a membership base that is reflective of Nashville
- Strengthen our organization by developing human and financial resources through staff development, board engagement, and fiscal responsibility
Community-driven: We are inclusive and collaborative, prioritizing the interests of the people who have the most at stake over the interests of profit and power. We strive to meet people where they are and seek to empower communities to join the process of co-creation and decision making.
Imaginative: We are creative, curious, and adaptable to the constant state of change. We acknowledge that the status quo and “best practices” often perpetuate inequality in mobility. We subscribe to an impact-driven approach that tangibly reflects the diverse perspectives, needs, and ideas that are often dismissed or disputed by a one-size-fits-all approach.
Accountable: We are committed to racial, economic, and environmental justice. We take time to be reflective of the history of our organization and of Nashville, acknowledging historical and current injustices and repairing harm when possible. As stewards championing multimodal infrastructure, we must critically examine the impact of our projects and work against the displacement and cultural erasure that can accompany shifts in our built environment.
Kind: We are empathetic and perceptive. We actively listen to your story because we believe experience IS expertise. We value local knowledge and fair compensation, recognizing that community voices bring quantitative data to life. We purposefully seek to bring organizations, neighborhoods, and individuals together for the betterment of each other.
Tenacious: We are bold and diligent in acknowledging social, civic, and infrastructure barriers in Nashville. We reject policing as the sole street safety solution and embrace experimentation and collaboration to advance mobility justice. We seek to build new ways to interact and share power as we work towards a transportation system that is welcoming to all.
Do you like this page?