Since 1998, Walk Bike Nashville has sought to make our city more walkable, bikeable and livable. We want our streets, sidewalks, and bikeways to support active living, additional commuting options, and recreational opportunities. Our organization advocates for improved infrastructure and safer streets, and works to support a culture of walking and bicycling through events and educational programs.
Walk Bike Nashville is working to build a more walkable, bikeable, and livable Nashville.
We envision a Nashville in which:
- All people, regardless of race, class or income, have the freedom to move through a comprehensive network of safe and accessible sidewalks, bikeways and transit routes with dignity;
- Our transportation investments are co-created by those who have most at stake;
- There are zero transportation deaths and serious injuries;
- There is a culture of walking and bicycling;
- People are healthier and happier because of equitable transportation choices; and
- Our natural resources are protected by our transportation choices.
Our Strategic Goals
- Safer Streets: No one should be killed or seriously injured by our transportation system. We will advocate for policies and infrastructure that reduce serious and fatal bicycle and pedestrian crashes.
- Dignified Infrastructure for all: Nashville needs a safe and inviting network of bikeways and pedestrian infrastructure to ensure all Nashvillians are able to get around without a car, regardless of age, ability, culture, race or income.
- Build the Walking Biking Culture: Build a culture where we accept and embrace many forms of transportation, where we celebrate active transportation trips. We will provide programs that help more Nashvillians use active transportation, and support those already doing so.
- Transportation Justice: The history of our transportation system has harmed many including black, indigenous, communities of color, low income communities and people with disabilities, and mobility continues to be a barrier for many. We will work to counter this systemic inequity within our transportation system and to make Walk Bike Nashville into an anti-racist organization.
- Strong Walk Bike Nashville: Walk Bike Nashville will continue to be a stable, diverse, and successful organization so that we can achieve our goals.
Community: our work should reflect and respect the needs and differences of the communities of Nashville in which we work
- Inclusion – we want to be intentionally inclusive in building a community
- Grassroots – We believe in the power of the people to change their community and work to be civic enablers, while always respecting our elected and appointed city leaders
- Powered by our People – members and volunteers are a critical part of our success
- Transportation Equity: we believe transportation investments should remove barriers to mobility and prioritize the needs of Black, Indigienous, people of color (BIPOC) and low-income people who stand to gain the most from better service.
- Environmental Sustainability: We believe our actions should be sustainable and respect our environment.
- Vanguards: We are innovative and forward-looking, willing to make mistakes
- Insistent but optimistic: We are respectful, but assertive when we need to be. We are passionate and believe in the potential for positive change, while also acknowledging the extent of our transportation challenges.
- Reflective and Data Driven: We intentionally pursue personal excellence through positive self-criticism. We seek to be subject matter experts, and use data backed by personal narratives or experiences from those who have the most at stake.
Our 2021 - 2025 Strategic Plan
In January 2021 the Walk Bike Nashville Board of Directors approved our 2021-2025 Strategic Plan, it includes our strategic goals, core objectives, and our AntiRacism Plan. Take a look at the plan here.
Do you like this page?